How will the moratorium on on all residential evictions work in Portland/Multnomah County?
A temporary moratorium is imposed on all residential evictions in Multnomah County for tenants on the basis of nonpayment of rent due to wage loss resulting from COVID-19.
To establish eligibility for this moratorium, affected tenants must:
- Demonstrate substantial loss of income, through documentation or other objectively verifiable means, resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, including County, state, and federal restrictions imposed to mitigate its spread; and
- Notify their landlords on or before the day that rent is due that they are unable to pay rent due to substantial loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nothing in this moratorium shall relieve tenants of liability for unpaid rent, which landlords may seek, and
- Tenants must pay within six months after expiration of this emergency.
- No late fee may be charged or collected for rent that is delayed for the reasons stated in this moratorium;
- A landlord may not seek rent that is delayed for the reasons stated in this moratorium through the eviction process.